Print-friendly version | You are not logged in. Click here to log in.

NEW RULES for UK Nationals Travelling to Spain from 1st January 2021

Posted on Wednesday, 06 January 2021 10:58AM by

Now the UK as left the EU and the transition period new rules came into force from the 1st January 2021. 

Please note the following rules do not take account of any specific rules for travelling between the UK and Spain that
related to the Coronavirus Pandemic, which can change at short notice from time to time.

PASSPORT: On the day of travel, you will need at least six months left on your passport and in addition the passport
may not be more than 10 years old.

HEALTHCARE: Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will continue to be valid for travel to Spain
Check out the NHS website for full details including the GHIC card which will replace the EHIC one.

SPANISH PASSPORT CONTROL: When entering Spain you no longer can use the EU lanes at passport control anymore. If you are
a tourist, you will NOT need a visa, but you will only be able to stay for 90 days maximum in any 180 day period.
This 90 day period includes visits to other EU countries that are part of the Schengen agreement.

BANNED ITEMS: You are not allowed to bring into Spain any items of MEAT or MILK or any products containing them.

DRIVING: You WILL be allowed to drive in Spain with your UK driving licence. If you are taking your own vehicle into
Spain either directly or via another EU country, you will need a Green Card and GB sticker. If you have a licence issued
in Gibraltar (plus any other UK offshore territory) you will need an International Driving Permit.

PETS: If you are travelling with pets the pet passport scheme ended on 31 December 2020. Instead you will need an
Animal Health Certificate. If you are planning a trip to Spain or any other EU country please be aware that these certificates
can take a month or longer to arrange.

ROAMING PHOME CHARGES: Check with your provider's terms and conditions in relation to charges and the guarantee of 
free roaming in the EU as the right has been removed by the EU. Some providers may introduce extra charges.

TRAVEL INSURANCE: Check your provider's terms and conditions to make sure you have the cover you need if your travel
 is cancelled or delayed.

These notes are meant as an advisory service and should not be relied upon. For the latest information you should
you should go to the Visiting Europe after 1 January pages on the UK government website.